Monday, June 23, 2008

Welcome to Asia

Before we left the plane I thought that perhaps the windows of the plane were just foggy, however, that was not the case. The fog was not on the windows, the fog was not that at all - it was a haze of pollution that hung in the air.

What amazed me when I stepped off of the plane is that I had to take a moment to catch my breath. As many of you know I have struggled with Asthma for many years. It was hot, humid, and a smell that I can not describe hung in the air.

When we arrived in Beijing I was a little taken back to say the least. The airport is brand new, and very modern. In fact it is one of the largest buildings in the world. It is very clean, bright....and HOT! I do not believe that it is air conditioned...or it was not keeping up with the mid-90 degree heat wave.

Yes, we had to arrive on the hottest day of the year!

I was surprised by the friendly attendants through out the airport. In the restrooms, elevators, trains, etc. Most of them speak broken english and there are english signs throughout the airport.

I just wish someone would have told me about the lack of Western Toilets! My children refused to use the restroom until I found one equipped with something they could recognize.

Immigration and customs were not as horrible as I thought they might be...infact they did not really question our documents. However, when we arrived we had to register with the local police station within 24 hours since we were not staying at a hotel. I was surprised by this, however, my father explained that even in the U.S. if visitors arrive on a foreign visas they too must register with the police, however, it is not enforced.

We decided not to tackle taking a bus to our destination in the city and hired two taxi's to take us to my father's home. Unlike the U.S. they do not wear seatbelts or require child seats. The kids were freaked out. As many of you know little Donny is a black and white rules type of kid...the fact that the cars were not equipped with seat belts kind of threw him off. The rules are the rules, and everyone must follow them ....and he expects to enforce the rules. So....We shoved him into the car despite his protests and were on our way.

And the culture shock begins.

Donny really has a hard time adapting to change and Big Don is not much different. The last comment Don made to me on the airplane....was "your lucky I love you." I just smiled, and said, "you said you would follow me half way around the world when you married me." I guess he did. :)

No comments: